This past weekend, my husband and I were very fortunate to be invited to the…
Forty Years ago today, America heard these famous six words for the first time: LIVE FROM NY, IT’S SATURDAY NIGHT! Like Saturday Night Live, I too was born in 1975. I have to say, it’s pretty fun sharing your birthday year with a major cultural icon. You grow up viewing the world through a different lens-one based on cast members and sketches, favorite songs, and catch phrases. And at every birthday milestone, you’re given the chance to look back on the past decade through laughter.
So often when we reach a big milestone, we focus on that huge, gigantic number. It just hovers, looming over us with intimidation as if to say “Well, you’re HERE. What have you accomplished? What did you DO? WHERE are you NOW? Are you happy with how it’s all turned out??!!” But I never really look at my milestone birthdays that way and I’ve realized it might be largely due to being Birthday BFF’s with Saturday Night Live. SNL certainly knows how to celebrate, and I’ve grown up looking forward to those big milestone numbers. I love how they feature them as overlays on the bottom of the screen (SNL at 20, SNL at 25… and SNL at 40!), and then often they’ll insert an favorite old clip as they fade to commercial. It reminds me of how far we’ve come and that every moment is worth celebrating, even the most ridiculous-off-the wall situations. I especially love the birthday retrospective episodes. We look back at the years through comedy. Sure there were some rough patches (economic meltdowns, corporate corruption, political battles, and war), but we got through it with laughter.
Saturday Night Live has taught me to laugh at myself, be silly, have fun. You can find the humor in anything AND everything (for better or worse).
Here are some important life lessons I’ve gained over the years. Maybe they’ve impacted you too?
- With a little luck, you too can create a hit show from the comfort of your couch and maybe Aerosmith will perform in your basement too! Nooo Way? Yes, Way! (Imagine if Wayne and Garth had access to Periscope?!!)
- The world is a dangerous place and satan’s out to get you no matter what you do. Isn’t that special?
- Beware of strangers at your door-it could be the….Land Shark!
- Never leave your house without a reliable Red Hooded Sweatshirt.
- Bags of Glass are not safe Christmas gifts. Who knew?
- Don’t let your cat drive your car.
- Always do a toe-dip temperature check of the hot tub, like James Brown.
- There is absolutely no musical problem that can not be fixed with just a little more cowbell.
- Kids, finish school! Or else you’ll be living in a van down by the river.
- Driving in southern California is very complicated.
- There are many family-friendly places to visit in NYC but don’t ask Stephan.
Well, this whole things has got me pretty verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I’ll give you a topic: milestone birthdays are both scary and joyous and always filled with laughter? Discuss (or just leave me a comment)!
HI! I’m a Shana, self-proclaimed Media Mixologist, wife, and mom to two little girls. I love to mix up cocktails of crafts, recipes, wellness, family and business with just the right amount of sparkle to help you shine everyday. So, grab a glass, and let’s celebrate the cocktail of life!