This Festive Santa Hat Calming Jar is great for kids and adults alike! It’s super…
This super easy Election Night Calming Jar is designed to help adults reduce stress and stay calm while they await the election night results. Be sure to check out all my tips for color and glitter variations.
Election nights are always a little stressful.
Exciting yet stressful.
And this year is setting up to be more anxiety-inducing than ever.
There is so much at stake.
But don’t worry—there are ways to combat this stress.
RELATED: Top 10 Ways to deal with (Remote Learning) Stress –this has lots of great tips!
I’ve recently gotten into Calming Jars. I started making them for my kids and found they were really relaxing for myself.
So I decided to make one for Election Night!
How Much Glitter Should I use for a Calming Jar?
I’ve discovered that creating glitter jars is almost like painting. You want to think about the colors and layers.
Think of your fine glitter as the background to your painting and the larger glitter as highlights or outlines to the painting.
The fine glitter is lighter than heavier glitter and will fill up your jar.
The larger the glitter, the heavier it will be and will thus be the first to slide to the bottom.
How to make a mostly BLUE glitter jar
If you want a mostly blue glitter jar, use a larger amount of blue-colored fine glitter. Start with about a tablespoon and build from there.
Then use some larger pieces of red glitter and stars for accent pieces.
How to make a mostly RED glitter jar
If you want mostly red, do the opposite of what I listed above for blue. Use 1-2 tablespoons of red-colored fine glitter for the base, then add some larger glitter in blue and star-shaped for the accent.
How to make an Election Night Calming Jar
I like to use the plastic tube-like jars from Michaels. They’re only $1.99 and can be found at the front of the store.
The advantage to using a plastic jar is that it won’t shatter if you drop it.
You could also use a mason jar, if you prefer.
- One Jar
- Warm water
- Wood skewer (to stir the glue)
- Fine Glitter, choose Red, white, and blue fine glitter
- Super Glue/Krazy glue (to seal the jar)
- 5 oz bottle of clear glue
Optional: Larger glitter, maybe a fun shape like stars or red or blue pieces
Optional: Patriotic ribbon to glue around the lid. If you choose to do this, adhere it with a glue gun.
Optional: Add patriotic ribbon and hot glue to decorate the lid.
- Warm up some water, you’ll want enough to fill the jar about 75%.
- Pour the warm water into the jar.
- Next, pour an entire bottle (5 oz) of clear glue or glitter glue.
- The glue needs to be clear; not opaque like traditional glue. This allows you to see all the glitter. You can also use glitter glue if you find a bottle that compliments your Calming Jar theme.
- Stir the glue and water until the glue fully dissolves.
- Next, it’s time to add the glitter!
- I chose to make my glitter jar mostly blue because it felt more calming to me.
- There is no right or wrong way to design your glitter jar.
- You could also do a mix of red, white, and blue fine glitter. The white won’t necessarily show up but it will provide extra sparkle.
- Next, choose a large glitter as an accent.
- I went with large red glitter pieces and gold stars.
Put the lid back on the bottle and give it a good shake. Play with it a few times and see how you feel.
Do the colors make you feel calmer?
Do you need to add any extra glitter?
If so, open it back up, make any necessary adjustments.
When you feel good about your jar, adhere some super glue to the inside of the lid and reattach the lid. Now it will stay sealed and you won’t have to worry about any liquid spilling out.
Optional: Use hot glue and attach patriotic ribbon the to the lid.
Don’t forget to Pin this! And PLEASE be sure to share this with your friends! I think all of us could use some relaxation tips this year!
HI! I’m a Shana, self-proclaimed Media Mixologist, wife, and mom to two little girls. I love to mix up cocktails of crafts, recipes, wellness, family and business with just the right amount of sparkle to help you shine everyday. So, grab a glass, and let’s celebrate the cocktail of life!