The first Toasting Tuesdays post is here. My goal of Toasting Tuesdays is to carve…
Today is a very special Technotini Toasting Tuesdays because I’m celebrating the one year mark of being breast cancer free! It was a year ago today that I had my mastectomy-April 22, 2013-Earth Day. Earth Day has always been one of my favorite holidays. I love how everyone comes together to celebrate Mother Earth and participate in concerts, clean ups, outdoor activities and more in appreciation of our beautiful planet. So when I realized that I would be going under the knife on such a special day, I became worried-it seemed like a bad sign. (Looking back, that seems a little bizarre, but you do a lot of overthinking before a big surgery, lol). As I thought about it some more and then even more, I remembered that Earth Day is about cleaning up Mama Earth, and my surgeon was going in to clean up Mama Me.
I learned that the only thing more important than cleaning up Mother Earth, is cleaning up ourselves–Mind, Body, and Soul–so we can be here for our children and grandchildren and maybe even great grandchildren (just as we wish for the trees and rivers). We get so busy as with work and taking care of our families, that we tend to neglect ourselves.
Here are a couple easy things to do (that are also easily left off our To Do list):
- Mind: Take time to breathe. Deep breathing helps stimulate your lymphatic system, helps blood flow, and increases focus.
- Tip: Do 5 deep breaths at the stop light while you’re driving. Breathe in slowly. It should ideally take you 6-7 counts to breathe in. If it takes less, that’s ok. Just work on it. Slowly building up to 6 or 7 counts.
- Body: Eat right and exercise.
- Tip: Try kefir yogurt drinks as you’re running out the door in the morning-packed with probiotics, it helps keep your insides healthy.
- Tip: Get up from your office chair every 50 min and walk around-maybe walk the stairs or if you work from home-do some squats.
- Soul: Take a few moments every day to just smile and laugh. More and more research shows that laughter really is the best medicine. There are positive physiological effects that take place, during fits of laughter, which help keep you healthy (ex: increase blood flow, burning calories, decrease stress and blood pressure just to name a few).
- Tip: If you have kids, this is pretty easy, even amidst the chaos–place yourself in your kids’ shoes, enjoy the wonderment of childhood, pretend you’re their age again. Once in a while, if you catch them having a blast making a mess, instead of getting upset-jump in and join them. Laugh and be free. You might as well because you know you’re going to have to clean it up anyway!
Once again, I’m glad to be sharing this Toasting Tuesday with you because it’s important to take a few minutes out of each week and just smile, laugh and think about the things that are making us happy. Please take a moment to scroll down (under the share buttons) and leave me a comment with what you’re toasting this week. It doesn’t have to be as momentous as my toast for today–it could even be something as simple as getting your kids to school on time without any meltdowns. Or maybe you planted a really pretty garden this weekend in celebration of Earth Day. Whatever you’re toasting, it’s special and I’d love to hear it.
Until next time,
Tell Your Story-Live Creatively
Sign up for our newsletter and receive the On-The-Road Photography Checklist! Never miss another important photo opportunity again.
HI! I’m a Shana, self-proclaimed Media Mixologist, wife, and mom to two little girls. I love to mix up cocktails of crafts, recipes, wellness, family and business with just the right amount of sparkle to help you shine everyday. So, grab a glass, and let’s celebrate the cocktail of life!