This easy, healthier Buffalo Chicken Dip is a healthy alternative to traditional Buffalo Chicken Dip…
Shana’s Power Food Dip for Powerful Game Day Parties
This healthy twist on the classic Seven Layer Dip will score big points with the whole family. It’s packed with tons of power-foods and healthy bison. You’ll score big with this yummy power food game day dip!
Fun Football Food and Party Ideas
We love relaxing Fall Football Saturdays. The food, the friends, the football. (Check out my article on Easy Game Day decor.)
We also love Seven Layer Dips.
The healthy beans, the gooey cheese, the sweet tang of the fresh tomatoes and freshness of the cilantro and of course, the wonderful crunch of it all coming together in a celebration of flavors on the chip!
I love putting a new (healthy) twist on tasty favorites. (Keep reading for more yummy Game Day recipes!)
So when my family said they wanted a 7 Layer Dip during the recent NFL playoff game, I thought “Yes! Let’s do this!”
My Power-Food Packed Dip uses bison (naturally lower in fat than beef and a sustainable food source), cauliflower (power food), sauteed veggies (heart-healthy), cheese (just cuz), and avocado (the perfect power food).
I have to say my favorite part of this dish was the roasted cauliflower. It added a rich nuttiness that was pretty amazing.
Related Articles (updated 2020):
Have you checked out my super addictive and low-fat Buffalo Chicken Dip? Mmm, it’s sooo good! And tastes amazing with this power salad.
You might also like this fun collection of Keto-friendly Game Day Recipes that I shared on our local Denver news.
How to Make Shana’s Power Food Game Day Dip
This recipe is super easy.
You can sautee the veggies on the stove top OR throw them all in the oven for a nice roasted flavor. I’d recommend roasting the vegetables because it gives it a deeper flavor AND you don’t have to watch them while they’re on the stove.
- 1 lb bison
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 T salsa to use when cooking the refried beans
- about 3 bell peppers
- baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 big handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 pack of pre-made guacamole or some fresh avocados
- sour cream (optional)
- 1 cup (or to taste) shredded cheddar cheese
- chili powder
- You may also want to add fresh cilantro, olives, pico de gallo, or onions.
- ) Preheat the oven to 420 degrees
- ) Spray a cookie sheet lightly with olive oil spray. Wash and cut the cauliflower and place on the cookie sheet. Then sprinkle some olive oil on top so the veggies will get carmelized. Cook for 20 minutes.
- ) Cook the can of refried beans on the stove top then pour into a baking dish. (While still on the stove top, I add 1 tablespoon of salsa to the beans for flavor. Sometimes I also add a handful of shredded cheddar cheese.)
- ) Cook the bison. Add some chili powder and cumin. I use a ratio of 2 parts chili powder to 1 part cumin. Just sprinkle it on for flavor. Sorry this is not exact. I just cook in terms of sprinkles which are probably equal to a teaspoon. When the bison is fully cooked, pour on top of the beans.
- ) Take out the cauliflower and pour on top of the bison.
- ) Cut the bell peppers and portabella mushrooms. Sautee on the stove top with the spinach and can of fire roasted tomatoes. When it’s ready, add it to the baking dish on top of the cauliflower.
- OPTION 2–you could roast all of the veggies together. Basically it just depends on time. If you roast the veggies, don’t add the fire roasted tomatoes. it will be too soupy. Just add a layer of salsa as a replacement.
- ) Add a layer of cheese then put the baking dish in the oven for 5 minutes so the cheese can melt.
- ) Take out of the oven and add the finishing touches: guacamole, sour cream, maybe some olives, pico de gallo, onions, etc.
- Serve with chips, salad, tortilla, you name it!
My fave part of this #PowerFood dip is the roasted Cauliflower! Find the #recipe here. #Click To Tweet
I hope you’ll try this super healthy, and super delicious Power Food Game Day Dip! Leave me a comment below with your thoughts! Thanks!
Tell Your Story-Live Creatively
Sign up for our newsletter and receive the On-The-Road Photography Checklist! Never miss another important photo opportunity again.
HI! I’m a Shana, self-proclaimed Media Mixologist, wife, and mom to two little girls. I love to mix up cocktails of crafts, recipes, wellness, family and business with just the right amount of sparkle to help you shine everyday. So, grab a glass, and let’s celebrate the cocktail of life!
Leave a Reply